Editorial and Social Media Management Opportunities for the University’s STEPS Newsletter for PGR Students
STEPS is a high profile University-wide Newsletter focussing on researcher development essentials for postgraduate researchers. It is written by postgraduate researchers for postgraduate researchers and contains up-to-date news on topics such as funding opportunities, conferences, events and training opportunities to enhance research careers.
The Newsletter is distributed to all postgraduate researchers and to all central training and service providers (such as Careers, Library and UMIP) and the University’s senior management. It is published quarterly and the Editorial Team is made up of postgraduate researchers from across the four Faculties of the University. The STEPS blog (http://manchestersteps.wordpress.com/), Twitter feed (@ManchesterSTEPS) , and Facebook Page (http://www.facebook.com/#!/ManchesterSTEPS) also feature more regular updates on skills training and opportunities for postgraduates.
Now, you could join the STEPS team as a Newsletter Editor or Social Media Manager!
The benefits of becoming an Editor or Social Media Manager:
- Shape and report on research staff training and development opportunities
- Familiarise yourself with the deeper context of researcher development at the institutional and national level
- Raise your own profile
- Build a community voice for postgraduate researchers at Manchester
- Get excellent hands-on experience to develop your team work, negotiation and communication skills
- Add ‘Editorial experience’ to your CV
Outline of Responsibilities for Editors:
Work closely with other members of the Editorial Team (up to two postgraduate researchers from each Faculty plus one Faculty Researcher Developer and the central Coordinator) that undertakes all aspects of publication including:
- Generating ideas for content; Writing/commissioning articles; Editorial appraisal of submitted contributions; Proof reading; Laying out the first proof and liaising with the University’s Design Studio on matters of design and format
- Attend Editorial Team meetings (up to 6 per year of 2 hours duration)
- Positively promote the Newsletter in their Schools & Faculties
- Help to identify and attend promotional opportunities
- Contribute to the STEPS blog, Twitter feed and Facebook Page
Outline of Responsibilities for Social Media Managers:
- Transfer of magazine content (published quarterly) to blog posts
- Commission blog posts to supplement magazine content
- Regular update of tweets from STEPS account
- Manage the STEPS email account, cascading information to the Editorial Team where appropriate
- Attendance at quarterly editorial meetings
- Investigate and recommend use of other social media tools
- Enhance promotional and communication channels for STEPS
- Help to build a community voice for postgraduate researchers at Manchester, whilst raising your own profile
Essentials for Applicants:
- Registered postgraduate research student at The University of Manchester
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent collaborator and team worker (you work closely with the print editorial team)
- An understanding of the purpose and ethos of STEPS content
If you are interested in applying for the role please submit an application, indicating which role (Editor or Social Media Manager) you would like to apply for, and including a statement of why you are interested in the role, any relevant experience and the skills you would bring to the post, by midnight Monday 1 October 2012 to Dr Mark Leech (firstname.lastname@example.org) to whom informal enquiries of interest can also be made. Appointments will be made following an interview process on dates to be confirmed.