Faculty of Humanities
Manchester Doctoral College (MDC)
Postgraduate Research Conference Fund
MDC PGR Conference Fund is provided on a competitive basis to assist postgraduate researchers towards the costs of attending national or international conferences to present their research, giving the opportunity to refine their research by exposing it to national and international peer review by presenting a paper or poster at a conference and providing the opportunity to network and interact with the best researchers in their field. The fund can be used to support the costs of travel, conference registration fees and accommodation and is intended to supplement the applicant’s own contribution or funds from other sources.
The aim of this scheme is to give students the opportunity to disseminate their research. It cannot be used to support students to attend courses, summer schools or to take up internships. Other forms of presentation equivalent to presenting a paper including those relating to practice-based research may be considered and will be judged on its merit by the Faculty Office. Any alternative forms of presentation such as the performance or display of creative outputs must be delivered in conjunction with some form of critical reflection by the student.
Who is eligible?
Postgraduate Research Students in the second, third (and part-time equivalent) and submission pending years including Home, Overseas, full-time, part-time, distance learning students on any doctorate programmes are eligible to apply. Students in the first year (or part-time equivalent) and those who have submitted the thesis are not eligible.
Conditions of use
- The contribution from the MDC PGR Conference Fund will be no more than £150 for a conference in the UK and no more than £300 for an overseas conference.
- Only one application per student per academic year will be allowed and priority will be given to students who have never received these funds in previous years.
Application Deadlines and Process
Round 1: Friday 10 February 2017, 1pm
Round 2: Friday 12 May 2017, 1pm
Candidates should submit the application and supporting documents to the Faculty PGR office by email (see below).
- Only applications for future conference attendance will be accepted. Retrospective applications are excluded.
- Applications must be submitted with evidence that the paper/poster has been accepted by the conference organiser
- Applications must demonstrate that external/other funding has been sought/secured. Evidence must be attached.
- Additional evidence of initiative and excellence such as organising a panel for the conference and publication track record will be taken into account in deciding between eligible applications
- Applications will be considered only when your supervisor certifies that the conference is relevant to your research
- For further information on external sources of funding please see the Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding available on www.presidentsaward.manchester.ac.uk/funding and seek advice from your supervisor.
- Students whose AHRC award commenced before September 2014 should apply for the AHRC Travel Funds (http://www.humanities.manchester.ac.uk/humnet/our-services/postgraduate-research/funding/ahrc/)
- Students whose AHRC award commenced in September 2014 or thereafter should apply for the North West Consortium Doctoral Training Partnership Fieldwork and Conference fund (http://nwcdtp.ac.uk/current-students/fieldwork/)
- Students whose ESRC award commenced before September 2013 should use their RTSG allowance (refer to School PGR office)
- Students whose ESRC award commenced in September 2013 or thereafter should apply for Research Training Support Grant through the North West Doctoral Training Centre (http://www.nwdtc.ac.uk/currentstudents/)
- Students should use their Research Training Support Grant allowance (refer to School PGR office)
If AHRC/ESRC/EPSRC funding has been exhausted, an application may be made for the MDC PGR conference fund.
For queries, please email email@example.com.