The Manchester GradSchool: Crossing Borders
We’ve been facilitating the Manchester GradSchool for over 12 years. This mix of creative problem solving, cross disciplinary work and employment focussed training is hands down our most popular training course.
“Learning all about working with the different characters in my group was invaluable experience. I got practice working in new and exciting ways which will help with my research work now and a great deal in the future. Best of all was having a guilt free break from my PhD work.”
See what people said about the 2017 experience.
What makes this training course such a hit is that we create situations that allow you to work on ‘real’ cases with ‘real’ colleagues (PhD students from all disciplines) to ensure that you get the most out of the time you spend. You’ll walk away feeling like you have unlocked a new skill set, but you’ll leave having nailed – or at least started a new line of thinking on – a tricky creative problem. During the GradSchool: Crossing Borders workshop you will learn and practice techniques and approaches to overcome a wide spectrum of creative challenges, from “I need an idea right now” to much tougher nuts to crack that will need many weeks of sustained creative thinking.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
Creativity and Innovation:
- Key insights into the science of creativity: how the brain works and understand common obstacles to creative thinking
- A toolkit to help you out of any tricky creative corner! Use science and research to determine what the best tool for the problem is rather than guesswork
- Process to help you get from brief to turbo charged brainstorm
- Learn how to generate, nurture and evaluate ideas
- Practice the tools using real challenges
Networking and Teamworking:
- Building relationships and networks
- Working in a team
- Giving and receiving feedback
Communication and Career Management:
- Presenting your ideas to a professional audience
- Promotion of public understanding
- Identifying transferable skills
- Interpersonal effectiveness
Alongside, evidence based creativity training, the unique 3.5 day structure of the GradSchool, allows you to intensively practice relationship building, working in a team, giving and receiving feedback. There are many more personal benefits such as an increase in self-awareness and self-discipline. Each team is supported with hands-on coaching from a dedicated facilitator throughout the course.
Who is it for?
All PhD students at any stage. FREE to University of Manchester research students, £300 for students from other institutions.
Date of course:
Tuesday 15th May – Friday 18th May 2018
The only requirement is that you must be available to attend all 3.5 days of course.
If you want to find out more info about the event see here:
The course is free, and lunch is on us, but places are limited; so register now to avoid disappointment: